Thursday 11 February 2016

Week 4 - Lesley Rosebrugh draws a bedraggled daisy.

Believe it or not, this is the best of my numerous attempts at drawing a bedraggled daisy.
I thought to myself,  "I'm a reasonably capable adult and can probably knock this daisy out in no time!  How hard could it be to draw 8 interconnecting ovals?"
8 grotesque daisies later...

I see the value in Luker's (2008) exercise and I understand people find visualizing concepts to be helpful.
Personally, it didn't do much for me (other than remind me of how I almost failed art that one year...)

When researching a subject, I will make lists of key words and variances of those words (for search engines that shun truncation *shakes fist*) and use a variety of combinations until I find what I'm looking for.  If I were to actually input all of these terms into the daisy format, it would be an indiscernible tangle of madness.  Luckily, I had already gone through the process of searching for literature related to my research question and had a paired down list of key word combos that got me to my sources (Toronto didn't really help me to be honest).

There's got to be a better way than the bedraggled daisy for us to visually organize the intersecting subjects of our research questions.  Maybe some kind of colour coded web of lines?  That might only take me 3 or 4 tries :)

3 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about drawing the daisy in that I wanted to draw a mind map! I really like the idea of having intersecting subjects and a web, I find the daisy exercise to be too clean cut and simplified. My subjects are all overlapping and need to be drawn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about drawing the daisy in that I wanted to draw a mind map! I really like the idea of having intersecting subjects and a web, I find the daisy exercise to be too clean cut and simplified. My subjects are all overlapping and need to be drawn out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This activity seemed way easier than it actually was! I think part of the challenge is embracing the simplicity of the flower and trying to distill your keywords/subjects into your core beliefs and interests. Flowers are beautiful in their paradox of elegant intricacy.

    J

    ReplyDelete