Thursday 4 February 2016

Week 3 Blog Post Eleni Pallotta

The epistemology quiz assigned for this week’s blog told me that I was Patricia Hill Collins – a black feminist researcher and author.  To be honest, I was not surprised in the slightest that my results matched such a strong leader and advocate as Patricia is in her research.  During my undergraduate degree, I wrote endless papers on unjust treatment of minority groups, as well as papers on discrimination, gender and race inequality, social class and so on.  I also enjoy reading novels that are based around these issues in history and around the world (I just finished reading The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill…amazing book!)


I found it very interesting that in the quiz’s description of Patricia, “Power to the people you critical theorist” was the last sentence in the paragraph.  My own research question that I discussed yesterday with Alan was based around students at the iSchool and their right to have core courses that pertain to more than just academic librarianship (such as, for example, a course on communities and public libraries as a core course).  While I need to change my idea around a bit, it is clear that my initial thoughts when creating a research question is to always advocate for someone or something.  Power to the people indeed, Patricia!

(Picture taken from: https://socy.umd.edu/facultyprofile/Collins/Patricia%20Hill)

1 comment:

  1. I'm finding the program favours students pursuing academic librarianship as well (so far anyway). Looking forward to seeing how your research question develops :)

    ReplyDelete