Sunday 14 February 2016

Week 4: Bedraggled Daisy


This is my daisy! I did not find this way of mapping to be very helpful. It is my belief that knowledge organization is a very personal thing, and I rarely adopt a certain method of organization. Instead, I prefer to take bits and pieces of things and use it in my own way. Let me put it this way: if I were a famous writer, and I died without publishing the last instalment of my novel and it lay complete yet unbound somewhere in my house, no one would be able to find it. Ever.

I rely on notes by my bedside table (I often wake up in the middle of the night, struck with inspiration), on my iPhone, my computer (I use GoogleDocs, the sticky notes, and the notepad, EverNote, and Word). Nothing is in order to anyone but me. I don't want to spit on the bedraggled daisy because it obviously works well enough for Luker to suggest it to us. More power to whomever it helps!

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of knowledge organization being a personal thing. I'm inclined to agree. While some methods work better than others, I think the best methods definitely do come from mixing & matching, as well as trial and error. Not to mention, it's silly to think that one method works for every project/purpose/subject.

    What else is interesting is that it almost sounds like you're describing a unique style of encryption. With all the talk about big data and being monitored, having your work scattered seems like an interesting (and likely unintentional) way of keeping it personal and private.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. Everyone has a different method for organizing knowledge, or at least, their own personal spin on a tried-and-true method.

    One acquaintance of mine does her notes in conjunction with doodles (they look great!) in order to better record and retain the information she is taking down. When I borrowed her notes to get another perspective for an upcoming exam, I found that it was much easier to understand the theories we were going through in class using her doodles+notes combination! Unfortunately... it was ultimately not something I was artistically capable of emulating in my own notes :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to share my experience with organization. This semester, I have begun to make the transition to keeping only digital (typed) copies of notes. So far so good. Ideally, I will neatly keep all of my notes in one password-protected place, such as with OneNote or EverNote...but we'll see!

    For me, this is a big challenge. I spent my entire undergrad taking and keeping all of my handwritten notes, and probably still learn best that way. At the very least, handwritten and paper notes have way more character than digital ones!

    Hopefully my new undertaking will be successful. I'll let you know how it goes

    ReplyDelete