Thursday 10 March 2016

Week 8


For my open topic blog post I’d like to write a little bit about research in the workplace. One of my hopes for my future is to be able to engage with the library I work at through regular research. Research in the workplace appeals to me because it allows for a chance to get to know the population a bit before deciding on questions and research methods. I work at a small library, and I’ve noticed that the majority of the research is based on numbers and surveys instead of face-to-face interactions such as feedback groups. My biggest concern about this type of research is that I don’t know anything about how to go about getting ethics approval. Academic research is interesting and important, but it seems to be more strictly regulated than research in the workplace.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, LaFrance.
    I think that we can get a lot more from face-to-face interaction with our library patrons. Getting real conversations started in the library is something we talked about in our workshop with Abrams, and I believe that cold, impersonal methods like surveys doesn't get to the heart of the problem (or need that the patrons have). It falls to us to start doing research at ground zero and start really getting to know the people for whom we are trying to improve our services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ethics is always a tricky thing to navigate. I think in smaller, familiar environments, it becomes really easy that we forget about the formal aspects of conducting research. If, however, the results of your interests and research are only used in your small library, should ethics approval really be a giant major concern?

    ReplyDelete