Friday 11 March 2016

Week 8 - Open Topic (Althea)

For this week's open topic blog post, I've decided that I'm going to post this (maybe philosophical) question that I've had since doing my first research project as an undergraduate student:

Why do research?

At least, research in social sciences. This is not to say I don't think research in social sciences is useful at all. There exist research projects that have drawn attention to problematic statements and shed light on problematic issues that exist in society e.g. Philippe Bourgois' Righteous Dopefiend. Those are research that exists to problem solve.

The kind of research that I question are those which pursue knowledge for knowledge's sake and do not necessarily forward any kind of intellectual conversation. I come across such research all the time while doing projects and assignments, and it is frustrating. It's like the researcher never cared to think "So what?" when they were planning their research. This is part of the reason why I don't ever consider pursuing a doctorate, because I don't feel confident about being able to contribute anything useful to the field that I choose to be in. 

However, at the same time, I wonder if my strong feelings about this issue come from having a different opinion from the researcher about what "useful research" means. Should we practice reflexivity and try to understand what the researcher thinks is "good research" from his or her point of view?

1 comment:

  1. I totally get your point. Throughout undergrad, we're challenged with "so what?", but then we find so much literature and work that doesn't seem to address that challenge at all. Often times, I wonder if the objective of the research/results just isn't conveyed properly, or if I just don't have the mind to understand the importance and consequences. Coming from an undergrad psychology, English, and philosophy, I have to say I've often felt the discrepancy in the point of research being conducted across the disciplines. In psychology we read about, and often participate in, research and studies that changes the way we understand the workings of the brain, or the way human behaviour works. I can very clearly understand the significance of the work being done. By comparison, research in philosophy has always been so open ended that it frightens me - there will never be one definite answer to questions of morality, only arguments formed from countless hours of research.

    ReplyDelete