Wednesday 9 March 2016

Week 8: Survey Format

As we talked about last Wednesday, I was really interested in the format that surveys come in. Nowadays it is so easy to develop a survey online and there are so many different platforms that let you do this. To name a few, survey monkey and fluid surveys are the two main survey platforms that I have used. It is also extremely helpful in reaching people nationally/globally.




What I am interested in though, is the difference between doing a survey hard copy on paper, and doing a survey online. I am curious to see what everyone thinks about the format of surveys.

My question to everyone is: What are the advantages of doing each survey format and what are the disadvantages?


2 comments:

  1. A big one for me is - depending on how the online survey is set up, that I can see the hard-copy questions in advance. This could bias my answers in the earlier questions if I see any keywords or suggested answers later on.
    Stephanie A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Stephanie. I always read over everything before I complete something. Oftentimes, online surveys go question by question. I suppose this serves to focus the survey taker's attention on one thing at a time, but it low-key gives me anxiety. The pros of online surveys are that its more economic (no paper and pens to source) and it's much more accessible at any time to people. Also, when it's online I believe many of the survey platforms create the statistics for you, which lessens the potential for human error (but heightens the potential for computer error)!

    ReplyDelete