Friday 25 March 2016

Week 11 Blogging Question: Documentation and Experience

In my project, most records generated will be digitally logged. They will come in the form of recordings and electronic transcripts detailing the amount of harassment experienced by female gamers, as well as data on skill level which will be pulled from existing online public records on both the harasser and the harassed. If I were looking to preserve my findings, then I feel that the best method to do so would be to create a pen-and-paper copy of all the observations made during the research process. Preserving my results digitally will be trickier, as it is probably safe to assume that in the future, any particular means of data storage we employ now will be completely outdated (just look at floppy disks!).

But of course, it wouldn’t hurt to try.

Storing my data on a cloud, as well as on a USB drive will probably be a safe bet in preserving at least one record of my findings past ten years. Additionally, any recordings made should be deleted after being checked over (to verify the harassment), as players are not aware that they are being recorded for research purposes (and therefore have not given consent for their matches and conversations to be stored and possibly used for purposes outside of research). Furthermore, the appropriate steps to eliminate all traces of the recordings from hard drives will be taken. Plenty of care will also go into making sure players remain anonymous after both harassment and skill level have been assessed and recorded. 

3 comments:

  1. I also agree that storing data on a cloud will likely keep data safe for years to come. Even if ways of storing data digitally does changes, it is likely that there will always be ways to convert an old file to new saved file systems. For example, there is technology that can convert VHS to DVD. This is important for many people, including families, who want to ensure their old recorded family home videos are safely stored and playable on up-to-date technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me old school, but there's a small part of me that honestly distrusts digital storage (I know, I need to get with the times). I think it must have something to do with tangibility. With a USB, at least I can hold something and I know that's where data is stored. Storing data on a cloud feels like it's literally floating in space somewhere, and I feel like it could disappear at any given moment. With that being said, I know it's the way of the future. It's almost shocking to think that everything we feel is technologically advanced today will become obsolete one day, just like floppy disks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way! I always worry that maybe something will happen online where a storage site will somehow stop existing. At least with the USB I know that I can open the information on my computer again if I need it.

      Delete