Wednesday 30 March 2016

Week 11

My raw data from my research will come in the form of video. I’m planning on taking that video and turning it into maps that show the paths that people take when visiting the library. I think ultimately it might be best to delete the videos after turning them into maps in order to protect the identities of the participants. With permission from the participants I’d like to make the maps available on the library shared drive in order for future librarians to be able to access it.

It would be nice to be able to document the thought processes of the library users, and their goals when visiting the library. My research does not focus as much on this because the main concern is for the physical use of the library.

3 comments:

  1. I think your post highlights the struggle between maintaining authenticity of data, and maintaining the privacy of participants. Deleting video footage after converting it into maps makes total sense. However, part of my hesitation in these situations is what if the maps are inaccurate and someone wants to check at a future date? Or, what if someone wants to approach the data from a different research perspective? In this case, the initial stages of the study would have to be run again, which seems rather wasteful to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Realistically if the maps are inaccurate I've made huge mistakes in my research in general. I would hope that I'd spend the time checking and double checking to deal with that kind of thing. I'd be concerned about other researchers trying to use the videos for other things mostly because it might create problems for informed consent if I'm saying that the videos will only be used to create maps.

      Delete
  2. Kind of off topic, but I'd love to see the videos/maps turn into a virtual tour of the library and its surrounding area! :)

    ReplyDelete