Friday 25 March 2016

Week 10: Information-Related Experiment

Personally, I need white noise to concentrate on my studies. Some need complete silence. Others can write the next best-selling book in a busy coffee shop! 

If I were to research anything related to information, I would study the reading comprehension of students when given a passage of literature they have never seen before to read, and are then asked to answer questions relating to reading comprehension on the passage (name of lead character, antagonist, any tribulations the main character has had to overcome, etc) in either two situations: total silence, or with background "white noise". 

A group of students would be randomly chosen then assigned to read the passage in either of the settings. 

The control group are the students who are in a room with no white noise.

The variable group are the students who are in a room with white noise. 

I would be interested to see which group of students performs better! 



2 comments:

  1. That would be really interesting, although I'd also be interested in seeing if the same people perform equally in both situations, or if there are individual differences where some do well with white noise and others do not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking from experience, my mom cannot stand the "white noise" that helps me so much!

    ReplyDelete