Friday 22 January 2016

Week 2 Blog Post: Sport Technology

Here is a little background information on who I am and where I come from. In my undergrad I completed a double-major in anthropology and media studies, learning the ins-and-outs of the digital world. I am currently in my first year of my MI concentrating in Culture and Technology and Knowledge Media Design. Where my true passion lives though, is in the world of sport. From a young age, and with family influence, I have always been heavily involved in sport. Whether I am on the field/court, working, or volunteering, I feel sport is a huge part of who I am . Sport takes a major role in my life as my hobby and I hope to develop a future career in sport with my background in media. 

While taking Culture and Technology I last semester, I developed an interest in sport technology. Specifically, I am interested in how sport technology is continually advancing and changing the sport world. There are many types of technologies that have been made and that are currently in development in which can change sports drastically. Things like equipment, training technologies, evaluation of the sports (e.g. Robot Umpires) and even pharmaceuticals.  Three articles drew my attention to this topic, and one major issue in sport. 

http://olympic.ca/2015/11/18/back-to-the-present-the-future-of-sport-tech-is-here/
http://olympic.ca/2015/11/10/the-most-dramatic-sport-equipment-advancements/
http://olympic.ca/2015/11/09/evolution-of-sport-how-technology-is-changing-the-game/

These articles discuss how technological advancement in sport is changing the game, and the implications this will have on the future. Topics such as new swim suit technology, that allows for an increased speed in swimming, or curling brooms, which were actually banned from use because the brooms were too advanced (it would ruin the elements of the game). The major issue in sport currently is the discussion on Anti-Doping. With the Russian athlete debacle, it is becoming more difficult to detect drugs in athletes' systems. Furthermore, with the continual advancement in pharmaceuticals and development of more and more recovery and performance-enhancing drugs, WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) has to continue adding to the list of prohibited substances, which is increasingly difficult to follow.

My research questions then, would like to focus on who makes the decision of whether or not a technology can be legal in sport? How are these technologies measured and evaluated? How are the considered ethical or not? Why do we keep innovating sport technologies, and will there ever be a limit to advancements? Finally, how do these technological innovations change the game?

I think this topic is important because it not only reflects the future of sport but also the sport (along with multiple others) market and technological advancements.

I have started with extremely broad questions, and would eventually like to narrow it down to one specific focus area! (Maybe focusing on a specific technology or issue in sport). I would greatly appreciate any feedback and comments.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Renee!

    As someone who has recently started actively strength training, I find your topic really interesting! I am only beginning to realized just how much thought and research people put into performing a sport/exercising, and it continues to surprise me.

    Personally, I exercise because it makes me feel good and I have a very strong desire to just perform the best I can as I am. However, I know that there are a lot of people out there who believe that their bodies won't perform at their fullest potential unless they take some supplements or medication.

    It also brings me to these questions: Who determines what are the "elements of the game"? What is "the game"? For someone who is a "purist" like me, the "game" is just the players (with no additions) and the sport. For someone who thinks differently, the game may come along with all those additions.

    Is the ultimate goal to better yourself? Or to win?

    If it's up to me, every single one of those competitors at the Olympics and other competitions will be wearing standardized attire and using standardized equipment. This is where planning committees should take a page from conducting scientific experiments. If they want to find out who's the best athlete, they should isolate everything except for the athlete. How anyone can judge a competition when every single factor has differing variables is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete