Monday 4 April 2016

Week 12: the long and winding road

My research question has mostly stayed the same, but has been refined in terms of methods and theoretical approach. As a result of there not being a lot of previous research on my specific topic, I have turned to information studies for theories/methodological approaches on how to conduct my research. I have come to find that this approach has given my research a stronger foundation to base my study.

 

I have looked at scholars such as Star, using her "Ethnography of Infrastructure" to establish the information structure that exists on anti-doping in the Canadian Sport System, and Sonnenwald's method of "Information Horizon" to establish athletes' information resources. Instead of focusing on anti-doping articles, I have looked at how I can use information scholars and theories as a base for my research. Focusing on my research  as informational has helped develop it, and has made me excited to hopefully pursue this study in the near future. 

2 comments:

  1. I too have found that there is little previous existing research that resembles my research. I found a theory that I can relate to why it is important to complete my research, instead of stating a theoretical framework that already exists and explaining why my research differs from that existing research. Having unexplored research is exciting but it may also take more information and explanation to convince others why it is important to research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can attest to the fact that I would have rather had a research topic situated within an emerging field of research. On my end, there seems to be no end to the amount of articles which can come up if I neglect to refine my focus. Although I do understand your challenge of maybe convincing others that the new research is worthwhile, I'm of the mind that if you are concerned with a real issue, then more often than not, there are others who will probably share your sentiments (even if they haven't published works about it : )

    ReplyDelete